Home School Link Worker (HSLW)
Home School Link Workers liaise with families, school staff, voluntary and public sector services to promote the well-being of children and families by focusing on early support at challenging times.
Every family experiences challenges at some point, but people's circumstances vary greatly and some need more support.
We are here to invest in your child's wellbeing and progress in school, but we know that when things are not going well at home, a child may not be in a good place to learn. Sometimes the impact is very subtle but if not addressed, a situation can deteriorate quickly. It is at these times, that we hope families will communicate with us, reach out and ask.
Our HSLW, Rosemary Pointon, has a background in nursing, social care and community work and holds a Master’s Degree in Public Health. She is available to meet with parents at school or home and can provide direct support and/or referral to specialists, in a range of situations. Her areas of expertise include:
- Parenting challenges
- Transitions, bereavement and family separation
- Family mental or physical ill-health
- Domestic abuse
- Parental issues with substance abuse or alcohol
- Financial difficulties, debt, benefits & foodbank vouchers
- Housing needs
- Early Help Assessments
- Applications to local charities for funding
- Assistance in completing forms, including Disability Living Allowance, school application forms & transport applications
- Signposting to a range of statutory and voluntary agencies and making appropriate referrals
- Accompanying parents to appointments if necessary
Our HSLW has the following additional roles in school:
- Rainbows course facilitator
- Young Carers
- Trained Parenting Puzzle course facilitator
- Play Therapist